Monday, May 16, 2011

The End is Near/An Entire Blogpost About Booze

What a whirlwind this last week has been!  I'll start off small.

On Tuesday, we headed over to C Level with some of my co-workers to have a Happy Hour hang out in one of San Diego's more iconic locations.  The group was great and we shared a lot of laughs and retold that story about the one time three of us got arrested at Barstow....  Everyone has one of those stories, right??  Thank you to everyone for coming to send Tom and I off with lots of well wishes!  It was so much fun!
Mandatory Group Shot, though many abstained.  Punks...

My last day with NAVFAC SW (Naval Facilities, Southwest) was on Friday.  The group took me out to lunch on Thursday where everyone said incredibly touching and such sweet things about my three years here.  Thus proving that I'm not quite as unpopular as I've thought.  Good to know!  "You like me, You Really Like ME!"  Oh Sally Field, we have this in common.

The Booze Fest
Below is the remaining booze from our liquor cabinet.  Yes, we had a lot and some of it was highly ridiculous.  Kila Lillet from that time we had a James Bond party and wanted to make Vesper martinis.  Obviously, we didn't use very much of it, because those martinis are kind of terrible.  Sorry, Daniel Craig, your little boy shorts in the beginning totally made up for this not so wonderful drink in Casion Royale!  Anywho, on Saturday night, we had a "Finish Off Our Booze" party at our house.  Everyone was asked to bring a mixer and take a bottle home with them.  We did a pretty respectable job by the end of the night!

Here's Tom, sipping on a Blue Star with a pinwheel straw and his pinkie out. 

Blue Star Recipe:
1 oz. Gin
1 oz. Blue Curacao
2 oz . Orange Juice
Pinwheel Straw

Below are my dear friends, Kristine and Sarah Fo taking home their party favors.  Sarah took the ever popular Malibu (somehow there were 2 bottles in our liquor cabinet.  One with "Ness" written on the side in Sharpie...  Since I changed my last name 1.5 years ago, we can guess how old that bottle is...) and RazzMatazz.  Before everyone starts judging me for having 2 bottles of Malibu, I'm also going to throw in my Lemongrass Rumtini Recipe.

Lemongrass Rumtini:
1. Create Lemongrass Simple Syrup.
     2 stalks lemongrass (bruised with the back side of a knife), coarsely chopped
     2 c. water
     1 c. sugar
Place all syrup ingredients in a saucepan.  Bring to medium heat, stirring until sugar dissolves.  Reduce to low and simmer, partially covered, for 15 min.  Strain and cool.  Cover and Refrigerate.

2. Make the drink!
2.5 oz. coconut rum (recommend half Bicardi Light and 1/2 Malibu)
1.5 oz. lemongrass syrup
1 oz. lime juice

They are super sweet but go down like water and are such a crowd pleaser.  Plus, I made them for my now-Father-In-Law while I was trying to impress him when Tom and I started dating.  Turns out, he loves sweet drinks and I made him enough that he thought I was too!  So, recommend making these in the early stages of courtship.

I've gotten so distracted telling you all how to make my favorite drinks that I've neglected to tell you more about our evening of fun!  We had about 15 people throughout the night and ch'atted, discovered the technology behind electronic cigarettes (and then made reference to the "Dinner Party from Hell" episode of Real Housewives of Beverley Hills, which only made sense to the ladies and Tom, with whom I share all of my Bravo Reality TV obsessions.  He may not love them like I do, but at least he knows who they are and that we are too classy to watch the Atlanta seasons), and of course, drank! 

Kristine, my lovely blonde friend pictured above, and I discovered our new favorite drink: The Buckaroo! 

The Buckaroo:

1.5 measures Maker's (or other Bourbon, but I'm a Maker's lady, just like Andy Cohen!  (Bravo reference #2 on this blogpost.  Let's see if I can get up to 5...)
1/2 tsp Bitters
5 Measures Coke (or Coke Zero)

Add ice and a cherry!  Pinwheel straw optional.





Now that the weekend is over, we are into those final stages of prepping the house before movers come on Wednesday and start packing up my worldly possessions.  The navy will have people come and pack everything up, so I'll just be hovering around them and nervously calling my mom with levels of frantic slowly but steadily rising.  Our storage shipment will get packed up on Monday. 

Also on Monday, I'm dropping two of our three kitties off at the airport where they will fly to Norfolk to hang out with my mom while we undertake the Goodbye America tour.  (See my first blogpost if you are unclear of this phenomenon.  It's both highly planned and foolish but will involve seeing muched loved family, friends and those strange roadside attractions that most people don't know exist.  World's Largest Lemon, we're coming your way first! 

Based on the length of this post, I'm avoiding some form of sorting that I should be doing.  But wanted to let you all know how much I appreciate you for reading this much, if you have.  Perhaps I'll be making some of those drinks mentioned previously tonight to help keep my sanity.  I'll know all of this is real when prized possessions start getting rolled out of our house.  Somehow, it's felt so far away for such a long time that the reality of our position is feeling a bit out of my grasp.  Lucky for me, I'm married to a wonderful, patient man who can handle my crazy in stride and with a smile on his face, most times.  I like to think it keeps him young, but perhaps entertained is more accurate.  I love you, Tommy!  Thanks for everything!

Until I write more, CIAO!

Lynne
xoxo

No comments:

Post a Comment